Saturday, August 30, 2008

Christophe Gans

I felt it was time again to throw another director profile at you, and to keep things fresh, I thought I would do a director I can appreciate.


Christophe Gans is a man I feel people should watch out for. While he only has one well known film in the US (Silent Hill) and one that has been gaining more recognition with it's new release on Blu-Ray (Brotherhood of the Wolf) his talent has managed to poke it's head out on occasion, and while I disagree with his choice to go into video game movies (Silent Hill and his upcoming Onimusha) I will not give up hope that he will bring out some original works to keep us amazed.

Born in France in 1960, Christophe Gans apparently took up cinema at a young age and went on to develop his skills throughout the rest of his life. That is about all the biography you are going to get from me.

As I see him, the man has a very good eye for cinematography. His camera work can sometimes astound me with it's beauty. On the same note, he also knows how to cool it down to the basics, as to not distract the viewer during important dialogue scenes or that ilk. Another trait of his deals with an apparent hatred for religious extremists. His hatred almost seems too strong, as it can lead to some very out-of-place visuals, and, if continued, will give away the bulk of the rest of his films (meaning the bad guys will most likely be part of a cult/sect/etc...). While I personally understand his distaste, I feel toning it down would do his works a lot of good.

Some other notes:

Created the cinema magazine "Starfix". I have never heard of it, but maybe that is because I don't follow magazines.

While starting in his native French language, it appears the rest of his films will be purely English (which I find to be a shame). Most likely reason is for the longing of even larger audiences.

Most Well Known Films Include: Silent Hill, Brotherhood of the Wolf

No comments: