Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Pianist (2002; Roman Polanski)

One thing.

1. I am not just going to give points to the movie because it touches a sensitive event. Just because the movie is about a jew in World War II, doesn't mean I am going to treat it like one. That is probably how it got it's Oscars.



Now that I have gotten that out of the way, I can begin. Brody's character (I could never remember how to spell his name, so I won't even try) is one of the most amazing piano players alive, but he is also a jew in Poland. Oh, and Germany has invaded. Oh, and it's during World War II. I am sure I don't have to explain the rest of the movie to you (oh, and there is a lot of it).

It has become apparent to me that people who adore this film bash on younger people like me who didn't enjoy this film because my generation is apparently the "A.D.D." generation, and we need violence, boobs, and short movies or else they aren't good.

Fuck you.

They are defending a movie that was created with racial stereotyping by using stereotyping. I gave "12 Angry Men" a 10/10. "Kingdom of Heaven" is also a 10/10 (three and a half hour movie). Just because I feel Roman Polanski didn't fully weave a masterpiece (and what a task it is to weave a two and a half hour movie like this) doesn't mean I am some hyperactive little joke of a child.

I have commented on long movies before, and let me give all the credit in the world to Polanski for this daring attempt. However, so many characters and so many scenes just feel so... inconsequential to the movie as a whole. You can sit there and film tragedy all day, but that doesn't mean it will be heart wrenching. When you are using these things in a film, you have to know when to put it to an end. Due to this very lengthy string of events, the film itself winds up extremely uncompelling. It could have had so much more power if he would have cut out just a half an hour.

I feel I could go on more about that, but I will cut it short as to prevent this review from taking the same tragic course the film did. The camera was crystal clear, with an effective use of lighting, and a clear eye for what he wants. The effects used are flawless and he never gets too ambitious as to detract from the reality of the subject matter.

So while Polanski clearly still has a keen eye and more talent then most, I feel he grew too ambitious, and felt too attached to the subject (he was in (Poland, I think) when these events took place) to actually cut out what he normally would have gladly done for anything else that wasn't so personal. This not only leads to a lengthy film and lessened impact, it leads to less replay-ability and a score of...


Score: 3/5

Notes: Tin Can of Food, Won Three Oscars (once again, you would be surprised how much that works)

No comments: